Lamborghini 350 GT was the first model produced by the lamborghini. It was produced in May 1964. The success and sale of this model ensures the survival of lamborghini and this company become the first competitor of sports cars maker Ferrari.
Initial design team
After the testing of this model engine in May 1963. Giotto Bizzarrini left lamborghini and in this month Ferruccio Lamborghini assigned Gian Paolo Dallara with the presence of Paolo Stanzani and Bob Wallace the task was assigned to them of making a grand design of lamborghini 350 GT.
Stanzani and Dallara felt that lamborghini 350 GT was not designed in such a way for mass production so they make quick action to correct it and make it in parallel lines.
Redesigning the GTV Prototype:
The first engine 3.5 liter V12 was a race car making 400 hp at 11,000rpm. So to make it more better and efficient changes were made to its engine to cover 40,000 hard miles between services. The following changes were made in it by Dallara and Wallace detune.
- Replace the expensive racing type the system of dry sump oiling system to a cost less wet sump oiling pan.
- Reduce its comprassion from 11.0:1 or to make it above from 9.4:1.
- Removing the other expensive materials from its crankshaft and other parts to make its cost less.
- Locating its distributors to more effective positions to make it more efficient.
- Adjusting the single oil filter system in it.
- To soft its cam profiles.
Then its modified engine was tested in October 3, 1963.
The performance of the first 3.5 liter engines was very good it was continuously tested on electric and on gasoline.
The price of Lamborghini 350 GT is $15,600 USD ($120,171 today)